Areas of Experience
Personal injury, medical malpractice, employment discrimination, patents, product liability, contracts, defamation, family law, and intellectual property.
- Judge, United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 1997-2011.
- Judge, 2nd Circuit Court, 1991-1997; Chief Judge, 1994-1997.
- Judge, Virginia Beach Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, 1985-1991; Chief Judge, 1988-1991.
- Former Partner, Pender and Coward.
- Certified Mediator, Supreme Court of Virginia.
- Member, Law Board of Visitors, Wake Forest University.
- Member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference.
- Former Member, Federal Judges Association.
- Former Member, Second District Ethics Committee, Virginia State Bar.
- Former Faculty, Virginia State Bar Professionalism Course.
- Former Vice President, Old Dominion University Alumni Association.
- Recipient, Joseph L. Lyle Professionalism Award, Virginia Beach Bar Association.
- Former Director, Virginia Opera Association.
- Director, Beth Sholom Village.
- Wake Forest University, J.D.
- Old Dominion University, B.A.